Bev

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Back to the countdown to New York!

I need to straighten out a small confusion. I got emails and calls this week from people who wished me well in Sedona today. And as wonderful as it is to think that I could be in marathon-shape in less than a month of training (for I am noted for an aggressive taper), sadly I’m not running Sedona.

I loaned the blog to Phil Wharton in Arizona this week to use to encourage his Sedona runners. Marathon runners are like this. We're hugely supportive of each other.

Also, if one is in the New York City Marathon lottery system (as I am), one naturally hopes that Sedona runners might be so thrilled with their marathon that they won’t apply for New York. Without an inundation of Arizonans, the odds of a Floridian New York lottery applicant getting in might increase from one chance in a gazillion to one chance in a bazillion. I’m not saying that I’m self-absorbed, but I could see a small, serendipitous, personal benefit to helping Phil make the Sedona experience a successful one.

Besides, if I don’t get into New York in November, I might be running Sedona next February … and I want them to look kindly upon me. “Say, isn’t that Bev, the blogger who sacrificed her postings for an entire week just so Phil Wharton could keep us pumped up last year? I ran a PR because of her. Let her have extra Gatorade!”

But mostly, honestly, and really, I got caught up in the excitement of Sedona and red rocks. Phil and his runners have been going through all the “week before” preparation so familiar to me after sixteen marathons. I loved it. From the bottom of my heart, I wish you all well today. As Phil always says, “Enjoy the experience.”

Tomorrow, we get back to talking about the Floridian quest for New York. And the Sedona runners can sleep in. For results, go to www.sedonamarathon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment