Bev

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bev admits the truth. Finally.

The ING New York Marathon lottery closed at midnight last night. For all of you who refrained from entering the lottery or withdrew your names because you just couldn’t bear to add yourselves to the gazillion runners in competition for the one little number the NYRR might draw for ME, God bless you.

The lottery drawing will take place on April 7.

We shall all now return to Bev’s obsession with a key date … beginning NOW. Everyone, synchronize your runner’s watches! Countdown 33,120 minutes. (NOTE: If your watch is on a Polar heart rate monitor, this is 2,318,400 heartbeats.)

The good news is that I can start being completely honest with you about how magnificent the ING New York City Marathon is. I haven’t lied exactly, but I have been deliberately nonchalant to keep from fueling any misguided enthusiasm that might have led a charged-up runner to think, “Hey, maybe I should run New York too! I’ll enter the lottery with Bev!” That would have been a bad idea. Until today. Now I’ll tell ya the truth: Yes, you SHOULD run the greatest marathon in the world … just not this year when I want to do it.

I know. I know. I know. No one in the history of the world has been more self-centered.

BTW, for those of you who have been following the travails of life on Planet Bev over the past little while, I did run last night. No need for you to come get me now. As they were shutting down the lottery in New York at midnight, I was padding down a dark road in Gainesville, thinking quiet New York thoughts. It seemed an appropriate act of communion.

No comments:

Post a Comment